Danbooru

Pool Vandalism

Posted under General

Somebody intentionally deletes images (mostly the first ones) from very long pools. The Chibi Miku-san pool is a frequent target of this.

Can anything be done about this? Like, access-protect the pool and/or identify the offenders with a history-type record?

Updated by Shinjidude

The pool creator can set the pool to private, but then it's up to them to add each new installment...

I wonder if mods/admin can see a "pool history" or something like the tag history feature. That would be the only real way to identify who's doing this.

I think the problem is when people read the Chib-Miku pool they hit the next button one after another, once they get to the last image, "next" disappears and "Remove Post" slides in where "next" was and without realising it people probably click on that accidentally removing the post, that could explain why the first ones keep on getting deleted.

I've found myself almost hitting "Remove Post" a few times as well.

Would it not be better to have "remove post from pool" down the side under Options?

Kraker2k said: I think the problem is when people read the Chib-Miku pool they hit the next button one after another, once they get to the last image, "next" disappears and "Remove Post" slides in where "next" was and without realising it people probably click on that accidentally removing the post, that could explain why the first ones keep on getting deleted.

I had this exact problem on a pool yesterday.

I thought there was indeed a confirmation box though... Can't remember.

Would it help to replace the "Next" link with dead text instead of having it disappear at the end of a pool? If we do that and the posts are still being removed, then we'll know it's vandalism for sure.

Is it just me, or has the entire Chibi Miku-san pool been disbanded? I was just looking at one of the comics, and noticed that it didn't have the usual pool notice at the top, and for that matter, none of the others I took a gander at, did.

(EDIT: Since this posting, it was recreated by Sho)

Updated

Unfortunately, to avoid it happening again, I've turned off the "public" tag on chibi-miku's pool. For now, either Sho can add new issues or I (or other mods and admins) can do so, and since I read it regularly it shouldn't be too much of a difference. Hopefully that keeps it from happening again for now, although we should try to find some better solution (I was thinking maybe there should be a mode where you can add stuff to a pool but not delete it).

A proper access history would help too though.

Actually, why don't we just make it so that only the pool creator and Janitors/Mods/Admins can delete from a pool, while adding can be made public or not, at the creator/janitor/mod/admins discretion?

That would seem to solve the major problem right there.

It would probably be more effective to have just an alternate setting to public/private. It makes sense to have delete priviledges toggle-able, but to be honest, I don't think there'd be any reason to have a pool that was private for adding, but public for deleting.
Setting 1 (public?) - Add and delete are public
Setting 2 (...limitted?) - Add is public, delete is only creator/staff
Setting 3 (private?) - Add and delete are creator/staff only

Technically speaking that's a fine idea but in practice it wouldn't be so much. If only Janitor+ can remove posts from a pool someone could just register a new account, go around adding random posts to every public pool and only 31 or so people could fix it. There would be a lot of damage before they were blocked and it would solve very little.

You guys really are suggesting using a hand grenade to kill a fly. Start with a history that shows +###### and -###### at the beginning (like tags) and modifying code so pools are locked down to registered members is the real first step, if we still have problems after that we can address them then.

1 2 3 4