Danbooru

Charisma Break Pool

Posted under General

I still don't see the distinction/purpose of this pool rather than the many Remilia pictures that change her demeanor somehow. It's become a single character tag practically; is this just because of some touhou in-meme?

Updated by rantuyetmai

I could have sworn the text for that pool had read that both a distinctly charismatic and broken version of the character had to appear in the image for it to qualify. That might work if properly monitored, but at the moment it seems vague and rather useless.

Chun said:
I still don't see the distinction/purpose of this pool rather than the many Remilia pictures that change her demeanor somehow. It's become a single character tag practically; is this just because of some touhou in-meme?

Remilia is all about charisma. She is just a very popular subject for the break.

Soljashy said:
I could have sworn the text for that pool had read that both a distinctly charismatic and broken version of the character had to appear in the image for it to qualify. That might work if properly monitored, but at the moment it seems vague and rather useless.

Well you could argue that for any "emotion" pool aka Disgustingly adorable. I don't know if it is fair to say a pool is useless because it is either single character centric or because people interpret the theme of a pool slightly differently.

If it was a single person adding their favorite characters to a pool then ya it is just a glorified favorite list, but Charisma Break is just like all the other subjective pools, a bit hit or miss.

Charisma Break needs to be somewhere as something and I think the pool is a better option (and less hassle to moderate if it came to that) then a tag.

I speak as a Remilia fan myself when I say that the pool definition is too vague and subjective to be of any actual use to anyone.

If it were limited to things like post #644097 and post #549786, I'd see some merit in the idea, but any character could potentially qualify for the vague description of "charismatic".

And what exactly constitutes a charisma break? What you've got now is a pool full of pics of Remilia being embarrassed, shocked, upset, scared, freaked out and in tears. How is that the "complete opposite" of anything?

Even if it is poorly defined, I don't see why this wouldn't be a poolable topic, even if it was just for a single character behaving uncharacteristically. It certainly isn't a good topic for a tag.

We might just need to fix the title / definition.

I never liked that pool, both because I don't like the new-style behemoth pools in general, and because I consider "charisma break" to refer to a specific meme that is more akin to the posts Soljashy linked to.

This pool overall makes no sense to me. It's too vague to be useful, and doesn't cover a concrete enough trait to merit being pooled. Charisma is defined by the specific character's behavior, and "Breaking" is a definition that could be debated from the deviation of being different from the original character state.

Chun said:
This pool overall makes no sense to me. It's too vague to be useful, and doesn't cover a concrete enough trait to merit being pooled. Charisma is defined by the specific character's behavior, and "Breaking" is a definition that could be debated from the deviation of being different from the original character state.

This is true.

All unclear pools should be removed.

I have always agreed about the questionable nature of this pool as well, though I don't know if I'm convinced about deleting it. It surely needs to be cleaned up though. it can't just be every post where Remi isn't killing someone. (To exaggerate a bit)

Chun said:

Well using remilia as an example, her normal state it that of a high class lady thus overflowing with charisma. Her acting out would be the opposite of that state and a break.

Granola said:
This is true.

All unclear pools should be removed.

Wouldn't that have more to do with the pool description then the pool itself.

Soljashy said:
If it were limited to things like post #644097 and post #549786, I'd see some merit in the idea, but any character could potentially qualify for the vague description of "charismatic".

That is a better use of the pool since it shows both states.

And what exactly constitutes a charisma break? What you've got now is a pool full of pics of Remilia being embarrassed, shocked, upset, scared, freaked out and in tears. How is that the "complete opposite" of anything?

I would say that because Remilia considers herself a lady (implied charisma) anything "unladylike" would be a break from that.

I am just seeing if there is a way to save/rework the pool so that gems like post #304820 and post #499660 have a home.

Maybe a private pool if someone wants to tackle it.

I'm going to be frank. This pool is stupid pretentious about something that is overly mundane; a change in attitude that is normal of characters that have more than one expression. The wording of this pool implies Charisma Break as some sort of super move or uncommon reaction behavior. The sheer amount of referencing to Remilia only and no other character ultimately breaks any sort of argument this is a concrete, easily seen trait. I fail to see anyone search for the pool or enjoy it simply because of a change in behavior (Much less usage of the word "Charisma"). Ultimately I leave judgment to the moderation brigade to sympathize or say otherwise.

I'd be all for killing 90% of the pool (at least). Calling it "charisma" is stupid anyway, almost like people not understanding what "irony" means. And then basically every post which has Remilia not being all snotty and/or being chibi ends up there, which is completely pointless. Either we get it substantially cleaned up and well-defined and policed, or we get rid of it.

Chun said:
So I guess deletion is good then?

Not good.

It needs either a clean up like what Soljashy described or total overhaul so as to eliminate "charisma" from the name and description entirely. However, it doesn't necessarily warrant deletion.

Soljashy said:

This. Put a post into the "Charisma Break" pool when a post shows both the charisma and the breaking (if that makes any sense). Like post #304820 and post #644097, but not post #586985 or post #584044.

Pyrolight said:
Tossing out a definition.

A pool for characters who outwardly appear cool, calm and collected, showing their true inner selves in embarrassing fashion.

I still prefer the "shows both in the same image" restriction. So if we're gonna keep it, someone needs to restrict it to just that/

jxh2154 said:
I still prefer the "shows both in the same image" restriction. So if we're gonna keep it, someone needs to restrict it to just that/

I wasn't sure if "before and after" was the consensus so I left it out.

I honestly can't think of a good way of saying "before and after" in the definition. I am sure someone more eloquent then myself will think of a good way phrasing it though.

1 2