Commenting is one of the major ways to communicate in the danbooru community.
Comments are generally welcome. This is a community after all, so contributing to the ongoing discussion will give you an identity and helping out is always good. If you know something interesting about an image (such as an author's comment or related video), but there's no designated place to put it, the comment field is where it goes.
As described in the terms of service, new members cannot post comments during the first week of signing up. Think of this as a mandatory lurking period. After the first week, you may post one comment per hour. This limit is in place to discourage users from spamming terrible comments.
See help:dtext for help with formatting comments.
Here are some general guidelines to keep in mind when commenting. Be aware that violating these guidelines even once can get you a negative record, and repeated violations will likely get you banned.
- Be polite. Senseless aggravation is indistinguishable from trolling, and in egregious cases can lead to a ban. Try to write clearly, with proper grammar and spelling. This just makes comments more comfortable to read. Don't worry if English is not your first language, just do your best.
- Racism is not tolerated. Even in jest. This includes any malicious or disparaging comment about an ethnicity. Comments that are insulting to a particular sex or sexual orientation are also frowned upon.
- DO NOT POST IN ALL-CAPS. Posting with the Caps-Lock on makes you look disruptive and stupid. Remember, you only need to move your pinky seven-sixteenths of an inch to not sound like a buffoon.
- Mark your spoilers. Danbooru is a spoiler-free community. Remember, not everyone watches a show as soon as it comes out. Spoilers should be always be marked, even if they're several years old. Spoilers are marked [ spoiler ] like this. [ /spoiler ]
- Don't post silly one-liners. We are a fairly focused community and inane banter is kept to a minimum. Don't just say "wow that's hot" or "lol", that adds nothing to the discussion and just takes up space.
- Do not abuse emoticons. Don't post lines such as "OMG >_< this is so funny~~~!! xD She totaly did that on purpose :PPP btw any1 have link to full download >_>". One emoticon per post should be the absolute upper limit, and you should be way below that on average. Just think how often you make such faces when speaking in real life; that's how often you should be making them in comments.
- Do not post "funny" dialogues. Do not post comments with lines the characters in the picture are supposedly saying. There's nothing wrong with funny or witty comments, but those are neither.
- Be careful when bumping. Remember that posting a comment on a picture also bumps that picture to the top of the comment page, so don't bump images just to say how disgusting they are or how much you don't want to see them. The 'Post without bumping'-button is there for a reason.
- Consider the forum. If you have a suggestion for how to run danbooru, such as a new tag or something like that, the forum is the place to post this. Linking the picture from the forum thread makes it much more permanent and more likely to be seen by admins and mods, which is a good place to start when trying to get a new tag or policy accepted.
- Fix obvious mistakes instead of posting a comment about it. If you see a mistake that should be fixed, don't leave a comment about it unless you are not sure what to do. Fix the mistake yourself if it is obvious instead of asking "Why is this explicit image rated safe?" If you are not absolutely sure what to do, leave a comment.
If you're unsure about something in an image you uploaded, we heartily recommend a short comment pointing this out. This could be anything from asking for artist/source to how to romanize a new anime or character. We'd much rather have you comment like this and give someone with the knowledge the opportunity to help out, rather than leaving it half-finished and having someone go back and clean up the mess you left.
Read the full article.
Nobody here but us chickens!