Danbooru

Hitaikakushi tag name change?

Posted under General

I stumbled upon this hitaikakushi tag a while ago and found out that it's terribly underused, considering how many saigyouji_yuyuko posts there are. After I decided to mass-tag Yuyuko posts with this for several pages, I then thought of how many people are actually going to search for this tag; evidently from the number of posts with hitaikakushi, not nearly enough. This looks to be a rather uncommon japanese word on Danbooru.

Not sure if Yuyuko's thing applies, since it has a Dreamcast spiral on it, not completely blank.

That triangular thing certainly is something to be tagged, but with another name more descriptive for non-Japanese speakers, which is nearly all of Danbooru. What I have in mind would be something like ghost_headpiece or triangular_headpiece; suggestions welcomed, of course. hitaikakushi would then be aliased to the new tag.

Unrelated: I always typed Danbooru as Danboory before correcting the mistake.

Updated by jxh2154

I'm not sure that "hitaikakushi" is the correct term anyway. Googling for it in kanji brings up only a handful of dictionaries suggesting it as a synonym of some kind of formal Heian-period headwear called, in what is surely a coincidence, a "mokou" (帽額.) Nor does searching it alongside Yuyuko's name produce any relevant results.

Wikipedia suggests the proper term is 天冠 or 三角頭巾. Regardless, probably makes sense to go with English here.

I admit that 7HS is correct. When I checked the name of those cloths, I found a variety of ways to refer to them: tenkan, tengan, hitai-eboshi, kami-kakushi, houkan and kami-kaburi. But the only one I didn't find was hitai-kakushi. I think the editors of the English Wikipedia probably mixed up hitai-eboshi and kami-kakushi.

These names are regional and religious. For example, only Buddhists use the word houkan. Accordingly, it's not a bad idea to use the common name 三角頭巾 (sankaku-zukin), or its literal translation "triangular hood / cloth."
"Sankaku" means "triangular" in Japanese, and "zukin" means "hood," but in this case I don't think it would be incorrect to translate the word as "cloth."

Updated

I think triangular headpiece would work well. Descriptive and it's not always worn by ghosts (though for Danbooru purposes it probably is.)

The Japanese equivalent still may not be spot on, since 三角頭巾 seems to also refer to bandanas/hankerchiefs worn overtop the hair, but it's better than "hitaikakushi" which means something completely different if anything at all.

I doubt the usefulness of the flooding of Saigyouji_Yuyuko hat images with this tag that has been going on recently. The tag works best when the character doesn't already where another headgear that just happens to have a triangular part on it which may ore may not be designed after the triangular headpiece (compare Saigyouji_Yuyuko/Letty_Whiterock) or is not of any particular importance to the image.

For example:
good
post #7923 (otherwise, the headgear can't be tagged)
bad
post #920502, post #920928, post #773291 (q), post #242511 (something triangular on the hat)

I...don't know. I really don't.
You could say that the hat and the headpiece are separate/different things and thus tagging both. On the other hand, a Yuyuko with hat is almost guaranteed to also have the same triangle (unless she wears someone else's hat or no hat), so it's not really necessary to tag the headband except for rare cases like S1eth's example (post #7923).

Also, can someone with the capability rename this tag? I didn't know you need a (contributor? janitor?) account to be able to rename tags until I tried to.

Ph.D said: Also, can someone with the capability rename this tag? I didn't know you need a (contributor? janitor?) account to be able to rename tags until I tried to.

As in hitaikakushi -> triangular_headpiece ?