Danbooru

How do you upload +10mb images

Posted under General

I know you can (I remember that someone uploaded a FUCKING MONSTER before), but try not to upload that kind of heavy image here.
Isn't against the rules per se, but the loading times aren't that fast for them.

Or, why not do us all a favor and save it as a jpeg file first before uploading? Making sure, of course, you set the quality level high enough so that no noticeable image data is lost.

I don't know about you guys, but I just really dislike those PNG overkill images.

And making the assumption you're getting those large pics from moe.imouto, I can understand why that site uses the PNG format for their images -- since it is, after all, a high resolution/quality image board, and PNG is a lossless image compression format -- but is it really necessary for Danbooru's purpose?

Updated

Isn't against the rules per se, but the loading times aren't that fast for them.

I think it definitely should be against the rules. Not only is slower for users but it affects the servers' upload speed too

Thank you very much, Fred. It was an interesting read, even if it did not answer all of my questions.

Bapabooiee said:

[Moe.imouto] is, after all, a high resolution/quality image board, and PNG is a lossless image compression format -- but is it really necessary for Danbooru's purpose?

What is Danbooru's purpose, in this sense? Everyday viewing pleasure, as opposed to sharing absurdres images for making your own posters, dakimakura covers, etc.?

Bapabooiee said:

ave it as a jpeg file (...) [setting] the quality level high enough so that no noticeable image data is lost.

Now this could be very tricky for somebody who has little experience of today's general expectations.

At first I thought Danbooru was a board preferring scans of the highest quality when available. I had used the "Show Image Samples" option ever since joining, so I thought that was a basic means to avoid problems with huge filesizes.

Then I learned about the PNG Overkill pool, whose existence was proof that many people did not use the sampling option, for whatever reason. So I tried to understand better what jpeg_artifacts are, to avoid mistakes at the other end.

Oh yeah, I do know what happens if you try to save an image as JPEG at 5% quality; but I have been watching supposedly artifacted pics like post #149683, asking myself, "Where the hell do they see the problem?"

I truly feel like a person who has mostly listened to C cassettes and then ends up in the middle of people who are arguing about MP3 versus compact discs versus vinyls and super-hifi equipment.

Katajanmarja said:
Oh yeah, I do know what happens if you try to save an image as JPEG at 5% quality; but I have been watching supposedly artifacted pics like post #149683, asking myself, "Where the hell do they see the problem?"

Look around the the ties on the upper part of the dress, or almost anywhere where the red and black portions meet. Those are the JPEG artifacts.

That being said, if you take any of the PNG overkill images, resave them as JPEGs at 100% quality, you lose no visible information and reduce the size by a ridiculous amount.

PNG was not designed to be used on images like most of the ones here, it hugely inflates the filesize when it does, since the compression methods used by PNG don't work on them.

Katajanmarja said: Now this could be very tricky for somebody who has little experience of today's general expectations.

I wasn't necessarily implying all images should be saved as jpegs - I was just saying that before an image is uploaded, efforts should be made to make sure it's a reasonable size, and that there are no noticeable compression artifacts from the reduced size.

[...] I have been watching supposedly artifacted pics like post #149683, asking myself, "Where the hell do they see the problem?"

I'm looking at it, and I can already see jpeg artifacts. Albeit, they're not terribly visible at first glance, but they're there. Try zooming-in on the pic.

EDIT: Fencedude beat me to it.

Bapabooiee said:

I'm looking at it, and I can already see jpeg artifacts. Albeit, they're not terribly visible at first glance, but they're there. Try zooming-in on the pic.

*smiling helplessly*

After reading Fencedude's message, I stared at the pic for five minutes, wiped my screen clean and stared more. Then I saw them. I had been looking for "broken" outlines rather than "broken" surfaces.

My C cassette metaphor seems to hold. I unsee certain types of quality flaws by default, because it has made everyday life so much more pleasant in the past.