Danbooru

Vote Down Abuse?

Posted under General

Personally, I think that non-productive comments like meme spam or redundant sexually orientated puns and lines can't be downvoted enough.

I'm certain that there are, again, users in the huge memberbase who use this bit of freedom to vandalise productive commenting on this site. Perhaps we should leave downvoting to upgraded accounts. Granting downvoting abilities for the same huge memberbase of which a certain amount produces the shit comments the downvoting the feature was implemented for seems rather dubious.

@Xabid: whoever you are, I think it's bad give direct link to someone profile page.

let say, IF new users or rules-sarcastic users voted down all of these comments randomly http://danbooru.donmai.us/comment/index

... I might never comment again.

Most people comment based on flash memories after their look the picture or following another users comments above them.

@Bapabooiee: thanks. But idk about technical stuff... how about threshold level? it is bellow ten vote-down or just one vote?

Updated

mister-h said:
... I might never comment again.

And nothing of value was lost.

mister-h said:
how about threshold level? it is bellow ten vote-down or just one vote?

You can set it yourself it your account settings. The default is 0, so one downvote hides a comment by default.

glasnost said: And nothing of value was lost.

I don't see why you have to put it like that. You could be a little bit nicer to the dear bloke, as he seems to be speaking in good spirit. Having a shut-out attitude like that doesn't do anything to help influence better netiquette. And if anything, it probably makes it worse.

Anyway, that's an entirely different, deep-rooted matter, and I'm probably looking into a little bit too much. But I have to call-out what I think I see (even if it's probably really minor).

alicemaiwaifu said:
Perhaps we should leave downvoting to upgraded accounts. Granting downvoting abilities for the same huge memberbase of which a certain amount produces the shit comments the downvoting the feature was implemented for seems rather dubious.

Agreed. Frankly, I don't even trust Members with comment voting, which is why I previously suggested that it be restricted to Priv+ users.

mister-h said:
Hmm... how about raise default threshold for all user to 5.

Or we could keep the default threshold at 0 and let all users choose the threshold they want.

0 works just fine as a default threshold.

Updated

mister-h said:
@Xabid: whoever you are, I think it's bad give direct link to someone profile page.

FWIW, the link to your profile is in EVERY ONE of your forum posts, your comments and your image posts, by just clicking on your name. So, uh, yeah that's a pretty silly thing to think.

Apollyon said:
Or we could keep the default threshold at 0 and let all users choose the threshold they want.

New Users will asks why this comment below threshold? And they may have no idea where to set threshold.

Another idea is: showing vote points on the top comment line like youtube did.

New Users will asks why this comment below threshold? And they may have no idea where to set threshold.

New users ask a lot of questions, which is why the forum and help page exist. Also, note the existence of the x comments bellow threshold button. I'm Pretty sure curiosity will urge them to click it.

Not sure how that will help, but that added feature would be nice to have.

Bapabooiee said:
I don't see why you have to put it like that.

Because his comments are filled with emoticons, netspeak, poor grammar, "me-too"-ism, and general violations of both howto:comment and common sense, and I wanted to get that point across in a stronger way than Xabid did, since mister-h kind of glossed over his post. I'm not saying he's a bad person (far from it, since he went to the trouble of making a forum post to address a perceived problem), but I honestly don't think I'd be missing out on anything if his comments weren't there, and I think saying so is the best way to change things.

Really, being straightforward is okay sometimes. Your post would have worked just as well if it had said "Hey, don't be a dick."

mister-h said:

This would be nice. As things are now, there's no point in voting up a comment that's already at 0; displaying the score of all comments might help to cut down on the "haha" comments that follow funny comments now.

I think the default threshold is fine where it is. I don't think any voting vandalism is going on, as I haven't seen more than two or three 'below threshold' comments that I didn't think belonged below threshold.

@glasnost: Yup-yup, I would have to agree with you completely. Just being straight-forward and honest is something that is very commendable; it is something that I sometimes find myself losing sight of, in favor of trying to be "kind".

I really am a sucker for trying to be nice to people, just so as long as they appear to be sincere (sadly, because of this, I can sometimes have a relatively high tolerance level for morons). And I guess this would also have to do with sympathy too, as he sort of reminds me of what I was like when I first started publicly posting on the Internet (I'm sure if most of us look back, even just a few years prior, we'll cringe at our past behavior).

He could very well just be young, and will eventually grow-out of it, so it might be best not to be too harsh. However, if one is well into adulthood, and still behaves like that, then that person has got a major problem.

But, uhh, nobody here is obligated to give a rat's ass about any of that anyway. So I suppose my point is moot ;]

Please don't disallow regular members from voting. This is a relatively minor form of abuse that every site with user moderated comments has to deal with. Restricting voting to privileged only is overkill and won't necessarily prevent comments from being unfairly downvoted. Lowering the default threshold is a much better way of preventing a single user from hiding legitimate comments.

mister-h said:

Your profile page isn't a secret or anything. I just wanted to make sure that people saw it, since the quality of your posts is really what this thread is about -- you're saying that they're being downvoted despite being useful contributions.

And, well, here's the only posts of yours I could find that were downvoted:

post #431318: Responding to "where can I find the manga?", your comment is "Internet".
post #557031: "LOLed at background silhouette. xD"
post #573456 is a bit better, but still...

Getting rid of posts like those is what the downvoting system was created for.

I mean, it's not a big deal. It's not like anyone is going to hate you for your Danbooru comments - it's not a reflection on you if people don't like your offhand comments on a Danbooru image. Compared to the massive sea of terrible comments, yours don't particularly stand out as bad. The earth is not going to open up and swallow you because somebody disliked your Danbooru comments. (Honestly, those aren't even your worst comments.)

But I'm still not seeing the abuse here. This is the system doing what it's supposed to do.

(Also, possible feature request -- it'd be nice to be able to see all of a user's comments that are above / below 0, perhaps sorted by rank. And maybe even all the comments a user has upvoted / downvoted. That would both make it easy to find people who are abusing the system, and would make it easy to see the quality of someone's posts at a glance -- and whether they're being unfairly abused or not.)

1 2 3 4 5 7