Danbooru

Twintails and pigtails

Posted under General

I'm not 100% sure, but I think they're actually synonyms. I think "pigtails" is the correct English term and "twintails" is derived from the Japanese word (ツインテール/TsuinTe-ru = Twin Tail).

I like the sound of twintails better though :)

Personally I've always referred to the shorter, max neck-length version as pigtails, and reserving twintails for the long, err, tail-like split that you see on characters like Fate or Rin (in before someone says Rin isn't twintails).

In reality they're synonyms though as far as I've gathered.

Being that there are only 17 posts for 'pigtails', over half of which fit Muey's definition for 'twintails', shouldn't 'pigtails' just alias to 'twintails'? Or is there a real need for the distinction? If we wanted to truly separate them, someone would need to go through 'twintails' and change a bunch of them to 'pigtails', b/c characters like Chiyo-chan from Azumanga are all currently categorized as 'twintails'.

My own personal opinion is that tails which emerge at or above the ear line get the twintails tag and those that emerge below get the pigtails tag.

Though I never did get around to putting any sort of distinction into the wiki, I feel the difference is significant enough to warrant tag separation.

Franz Einfalsch said: My own personal opinion is that tails which emerge at or above the ear line get the twintails tag and those that emerge below get the pigtails tag.

Whether or not they're braided seems to be important too. This is why I never tag Yoshino from Marimite as 'twintails'. I know we have a twin_braids tag.

LaC said:
This user's preference is that you read http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pigtail and http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/ツインテール

i.e. they are synonomous.

I would suggest for the sake of simplicity and ease of keeping everything tagged properly to use the 'twintails' and 'short_hair' tags together to describe Muey and Elrohier's conception of pigtail, and 'twintails' with or without 'long_hair' to describe all others. Swap 'twintails' with 'twin_braids' if the hair is braided.

According to the wikipedia article pigtails are often long & braided as opposed to short & straight, so there is lots of semantic overlap between 'twintails' and 'pigtails' anwyay. I really don't even think there is an English word to describe a long unbraided pair of "tails" aside from 'pigtails', which would be against the defenition discussed in this thread. Pony-tail seems to imply just one.

[short_hair twintails]: Chiyo-chan from Azumanga
[long_hair twintails]: Kagami from Lucky star
[short_hair twin_braids]: Kurumi from Pani Poni Dash
[long_hair twin_braids]: Arika from Mai Otome
[short_hair ponytail]: Haruhi from Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuuutsu (in ponytail mode at the end)
[long_hair ponytail]: Viletta from Code Geass
[short_hair braid]: Ichijou from Pani Poni Dash
[long_hair braid]: Akira from Mai Hime

Updated

This seems like a lot of work for something with very little payoff. I'm certain you can find something better to do with your time than to retag 3600+ posts.

I would also consult albert before starting anything like this.

Log said: This seems like a lot of work for something with very little payoff. I'm certain you can find something better to do with your time than to retag 3600+ posts.

Yes. What he should do it go through the entire 'tagme' list and... tag them =D I've attempted small chunks of it from time to time, but... >__>

Log said:
This seems like a lot of work for something with very little payoff. I'm certain you can find something better to do with your time than to retag 3600+ posts.

I would also consult albert before starting anything like this.

I'm not suggesting re-tagging everything. I'm saying alias pigtails to twintails and if you are still worried about the distinction code the way I'm saying for the future.